Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Canning




Canning is a great way to eat produce for really cheap all winter. This year I have done plums, apples, pears, green beans, and blackberries. I don't have room for a garden in my yard but have been blessed with people letting me pick all their excess produce. If you are like me and don't have room for a garden consider posting a wanted produce ad on freecycle (of course be safe and never go alone). Many people have lots of extra produce they are not going to use. Freecycle can also be a great way to get canning supplies if you don't have them yet. Even if you decide to buy the canning equipment, it will more than pay for itself. The other thing I love about canning is that I know what is in our food-mostly organic and no preservatives.

3 comments:

Briana said...

Yum. Looks good!

AmberJ said...

I was beginning to wonder where you were in the blog-o-sphere. Canning! :) Looks like you have done a LOT. Very cool. I just got rid of my stuff this summer and then came into an 'abundance' of fresh produce over the last 2 weekends (not including the blackberries we picked). Oh well. Maybe next year.

Unknown said...

Your canned goods look very pretty! What are the ones on the top? I think the green beans look delicious too....

My mom cans peaches every year, and once I think she did tomatoes. I would like to learn how to can veggies.