Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Thought For Married Couples


One huge reason that we have been able to become debt free and do pretty well handling our finances is that The Man and I are on the same page. 4 years ago when I suggested we take the Financial Peace classes, I have to be honest that The Man was less than thrilled about it. However, like a good husband he consented when I told him it was really important to me. There was one stipulation though, he said he would try it for one week and after that if he hated it he didn't have to go. After the first class though he was hooked. We got so excited about paying off debt and learning how to manage our money. I don't think you will win with your money if both partners aren't on the same page. The Man and I never fight about money as both of us agree on where the money will go each month and work as a team to reach our financial goals. Actually, now we love talking about our finances because we are so excited about the progress we are making.
I think it is imperative to have joint accounts if you are married. You need to be working as a team to achieve your financial goals. Both people need to be aware of and accountable for the finances. A great place to start would be to take some financial classes together, of course I recommend Financial Peace University. Also set aside time each month to talk about the budget, how things are going, and places that need to be improved. You will not win with money if both people are not committed to the same financial goals.