Saturday, September 6, 2008

You NEED an Emergency Fund


This post is to show you that you MUST have an emergency fund if you want to get out and stay out of debt. Last night The Man was helping me with all my canning (sshhh...don't tell all his manly friends) and the stove started on fire! Thank God it was a small fire in one of the burners that stopped when we turned it off. After that-nothing-the thing is totally dead. The Man and I were talking about how a few years ago we would have been worried about how to buy a new one. We would have paid with credit and thought "of course we will pay it all off next month". Then the next month would have come around and we probably wouldn't be able to pay it all off. Hence, how we got into debt in the first place. It is so great to have money in the bank for emergencies like this one. If you want to become debt free, start with $1,000 in the bank for emergencies because I can guarantee you they will happen! That way you won't have to ever rely on credit again. After all, isn't it wonderful knowing YOU can take care of yourself?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you set your stove on fire!! Shhhhh.....don't tell anyone, but I accidentally set my car on fire once....

Unknown said...

PS: How come you didn't tell me about the camera deal you got at Walgreens?? I would have totally done that too!

Alison said...

Thank God no one was hurt. Now you can list that your house has "new applicances".

The Keevy Family said...

I would agree! I recently set my toaster oven on fire. I am still trying to figure out how that happened. I am glad I had some baking soda close by! It was only $30 to replace, but still. I would agree. You need an emergency fund if you own a home for sure!