Monday, June 9, 2008

Cloth Diapers


I've made the switch. Yes, the thing I always said I couldn't do. We are now using cloth diapers! Yes, I know I'm a little late since hopefully the kids will be potty trained in the next 6 months but hey, I was a tough convert. My friend Alison won me over. She has been awesome about answering all my millions of questions and loaning me stuff.
Now there are 2 main benifits of cloth diapers. First and most important to me is the enviornement. Do you know it takes 500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose??? That means those diapers will still be around when my great-great-great-great-great-great grandkids are born! That is convicting. Since I had kids I have become much more aware of the environment and how I want to leave the planet for my children. We have made a lot of green changes this year and this was always something I thought we should do but I just couldn't. I felt so guilty throwing those diapers away so FINALLY I thought I'd give cloth diapers a try. You know what? They aren't that much more work and it isn't messy. My only regret is that I didn't start 2 years ago.
The other huge benifit is saving money. You will pay about $2,000 for diapers from birth-2 years old. Cloth diapers cost about $1,000 and each additional child is practically FREE. Now that is a bargain! Might as well have a bakers dozen. If you want to check out the diapers I bought click here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are brave! I don't know if I could do it....

Carpenters said...

Oh, I'm so happy that you made the switch! You will love it! At least, I do. Oh, and you can also use cloth wipes. I switched to cloth wipes about a month ago and have found that they are super easy to use and have saved us some money too.

With Love,
Penelope

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's going well! I've heard a lot of benefits from going with cloth, so that's our plan when this little one is born in the fall! :)