Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saving on the Basics

You can live a long time on milk and bread. Actually I'm kidding, I have no idea how long you could live off milk and bread. All I know is we go through a lot of milk in our house. About 5 gallons a week. We should buy a dairy cow. Unfortunately, we have no room for one so I have had to be creative with how to cut costs in this area.
Every other week in the Fred Meyer ad there is a coupon for $1 for half gallon of milk. That is the cheapest I can find it on a regular basis plus the Albie's brand is from cows not treated with rbst. Since I usually go to Albertsons twice a week (to get all my FREE stuff using my coupons) I use those coupons then and stock up on milk for the next 2 weeks until the next coupon comes out.

I put what we will use for the next week in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. Now before some of you think "gross-frozen milk" you should try it. The Man was very opposed of me doing this at first so we did a simple test-1 glass of milk that had been frozen and 1 glass that hadn't. If he could tell the difference, I wouldn't freeze the milk. Guess what? We are freezing our milk. A couple things to remember about freezing milk-make sure you give it a few days to unthaw in the fridge, it will last about 5 days once unthawed, and can last about 3 months in the freezer. The milk will settle a little when you freeze it so just shake it before you pour it.

Every other week Fred Meyer also comes out with a coupon for their bread for $1.20. So I take it to Albertsons and they will let you get their brand of bread (Country Farms) with the coupon. Now this is the GOOD bread, 100% whole wheat no high fructose corn syrup. Normally this kind of bread is about $4. So I get enough to last us 2 weeks until the coupon comes out again. You could freeze the bread if you want but I haven't had a problem with it lasting 2 weeks.

1 comment:

AmberJ said...

Dang, I should have taken advantage of the $1 cereal-if-you-buy-2-gallons-of-milk they had a few weeks ago -- I could have passed it all along to you!

i thought of you today when I saw an ad for paper plates. i posted about it on my blog. It was appalling! (The ad, not my post...)