Saturday, July 5, 2008

Freegan


I had a great conversation with a girl at work the other day. I think this girl could be my long lost sister because we had a lot of the same views. She was raised in another country and we were talking about all the waste in America. I have been to Mexico, Philippines, Guatemala, Africa and I have seen horrible poverty. I have seen people dying because of starvation. Let me tell you this forever changes you. It is hard to come back to America and see all the waste.
We were talking about how we would consider the freegan lifestyle except my husband would leave me if I ever did. To his credit, this man has put up with a lot of my against the cultural norm ideas but this is where he is drawing the line. Now men usually die before women so I have thought if this happens to me, I may just do this. (I am saying this with some of my dry humor although I actually have thought about it).
I know many of you are not up to the freegan lifestyle and I myself am not up for losing the love of my life but you can live with this mind set on a smaller scale. Think about things before you buy them. Do you really NEED it? What are you giving up by buying these things because you ARE giving up something. Maybe it is you have to work more and are then giving up time with your family. Maybe you are giving up saving for your child's education. Maybe you are giving up the joy of donating to someone who is trully in need. Don't just spend your money-tell it where to go based on what you hold in high regard.

No comments: